Wednesday, September 28, 2011

boiled blueberry muffins

Yes, I know: they sound bizarre.  But they are good.  And even better, they are good for you.  If you are a fan of muffins that are more like unfrosted cupcakes, these are not for you.  Don't get me wrong, I love those kind of muffins.  Problem is, if I make them, I eat them.  So I figured I'd make muffins I wouldn't feel guilty about polishing off.

The original recipe calls for raisins and only whole wheat flour.  Alaina ADORES blueberries, and I had just picked up a large quantity of dried blueberries (thanks, Winco!), so I used those instead.  I also used flax meal and buckwheat flour in addition to whole wheat flour.  Go grains!

boiled blueberry muffins


1 1/2 c. dried blueberries (or other dried fruit of your choice....I would cut larger fruits [apricots, cherries, etc.] to raisin size)
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 c. honey (or agave nectar)
1/2 c. butter

Bring the above ingredients to boil.  Simmer for two minutes.  Remove from heat and let sit for about an hour.
In the meantime:

1 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c. buckwheat flour
1/3 c. flax meal
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

Sift above ingredients.  Discard flax meal that won't sift nicely.  Flours you use are of importance only to you....you're just aiming for about 1 1/2 cups worth.  Add fruit mixture to this bowl and:

1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix well.  It will look hideous.  And smell a little funny, too.  Fill muffin cups.  Should make about 1 dozen muffins.  Bake in 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes.  Toothpick should come out clean, unless you stabbed a berry.

I think I'll try cherries next time, and substitute almond meal for flax, and almond extract for vanilla.  That's the blessing and the curse of cooking: each new project leads to many more ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment