Wednesday, October 12, 2011

lentil bread

Fresh out of the oven!
Going through my pantry last night, I came across 3 bags of lentils.  THREE WHOLE POUNDS OF LENTILS.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good lentil soup or summer salad, but a little variety never hurts.  And I was out of homemade bread, so I began wondering: what would happen if I put lentils in bread?

The answer: MAGIC.  Magic happens when you put lentils in bread.

Lentils are a great source of protein, fiber, iron, folate, vitamin B, amino acids, and minerals.  Not to mention they're cheap and delicious.

Fairly straightforward recipe.  Makes delicious toast and sandwich bread.

lentil bread
1/2 c. lentils (I used brown, but I think any would be good)
2 cups warm water, divided
2 1/4 tsp. yeast (or one packet)
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 c. whole wheat flour
3.5-4 c. bread flour (I'm sure all purpose would be fine)

Soak lentils in one cup of water overnight.

Add additional cup of water (be sure it's WARM!), sugar, and yeast to lentils.  Let sit 15 minutes.

Mix egg and salt in large mixing bowl.  Add lentil mixture.  Stir gently.  Add flours, incorporate to form dough.  Turn onto floured surface and knead 5-10 minutes.  Place in oiled bowl and let rise, about 60 minutes.

Divide into two loaves and shape.  You can do round loaves on a cookie sheets, but I prefer just using my loaf pans....easier for toast.  Grease the pans just a bit.  Let rise until doubled in size (about an hour).  Bake at 375 for 50 minutes.  Let cool in pans covered with a towel.  Keeping the loaves covered will prevent the lentils from hardening.

Good, and good for you!  Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment