Tuesday, April 12, 2011

coconut banana bread

I'm not a huge fan of banana bread.  There, I said it.  I know it makes me some sort of quick-bread pariah.  But I hate waste, so I put overripe bananas in the freezer thinking "Someday, I'll find a banana bread recipe I like."  This is the closest I've gotten so far.  Feel free to adjust the amount of cardamom vs. cinnamon.   I prefer cardamom, as indicated below.



coconut milk banana bread

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dessicated coconut, unsweetened
3 mashed bananas (large)
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom & salt

In a separate large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, and coconut flakes until combined. Whisk in bananas, coconut milk, butter, applesauce and vanilla.

Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir with a spatula until just combined.

Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick entered into the center of the loaf comes out clean.    **My oven took almost 90 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment