Saturday, April 2, 2011

homemade granola

I love granola!  Skip the milk, just add some yogurt, and my breakfast is ready.  The last time I went looking for it in the cereal aisle, I was disappointed.  I like raisins, but it seems like there should be more options.  So I decided to make it myself.  I use a basic recipe, and play from there.  The current batch Alaina and I are eating has dried cherries, dessicated coconut (not the sweetened shreds, it's unsweetened and much smaller flakes), and slivered almonds.  Take advantage of the bulk food and/or natural food section of your grocery store.  I think I'll play around with dried mango and ginger in my next batch!


Basic Recipe
2 cups rolled oats
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract



Combine brown sugar, vanilla, and vegetable oil (I don't recommend olive oil, unless you are a HUGE fan of the taste) thoroughly.  It will have the consistency of paste.  If you want to add spices (cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, etc.), this is a great time.  Add the oats on top, and mix well.  Get your hands dirty!  You want every piece of oatmeal coated.  Spread mixture on a parchment lined baking sheet.  You want to keep some of the texture, but you still need bite-sizeable pieces.  Put in a preheated 325 degree oven, and bake for 15 minutes.  After 10 minutes, flip granola using a spatula.  If using nuts, add here (unless they're already toasted).  Bake for 10 more minutes.  Let cool on the baking sheet.  Top with your choice of dried fruit or other toppings that can't go in the oven (chocolate chips might be an awesome addition!).  Will keep for a week in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment